PART 1 GENERAL
1.1 SECTION INCLUDES
- The CONTRACTOR shall furnish and install aluminum stop log planks, guides and stop log plank pullers in accordance with the details shown on the Contract Drawings, specified in the Detailed Specifications and the requirements specified herein.
- Following successful completion of field tests, the CONTRACTOR shall store the stop log planks and stop log plank pullers at the locations designated by the Engineer.
- ASTM A240 / A276 – Stainless and Heat Resisting Steel Bars and Shapes.
- ASTM B308 – Aluminum-Alloy 6061-T6 Standard Structural Profiles.
- C.ASTM D2000 – Classification System for Rubber
1.3 PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
- The stop log planks shall not deflect more than 1/360 of the span of the plank under the design head shown on the Contract Drawings or specified in the Detailed Specifications.
- The stop log planks shall be designed for flow in either direction and seals shall be provided for this condition.
- Manufacturer maximum guaranteed leakage shall be 0.1 gallons per minute per linear foot of seal length.
1.4 APPROVED MANUFACTURER
- JASH USA
- or approved equal.
- A.The Contractor shall submit working drawings, shop drawings and material specifications for the approval of the Engineer in accordance with the requirements of the Specifications. Working drawings and shop drawings shall include, but not limited to:
- Detailed dimensional drawings.
- Assembly and installation drawings.
1.6 TESTING OF STOP LOG PLANKS
- The Contractor shall demonstrate, using a stop log puller and lifting device, the ease of installation, removal and the proper fit of the stop log planks at their locations of use in the presence of and to the satisfaction of the Engineer.
- Stop log planks shall be tested for conformance to manufacturer’s maximum guaranteed leakage.
- Any stop log planks that do not fit or bind, or do not meet leakage requirements shall be repaired and retested all at no additional cost to the City.
1.7 EXAMINATION OF STOP LOG PLANK LOCATIONS
- The Contractor shall examine the locations of the stop log planks to verify all pertinent dimensions prior to fabrication of the stop log planks.
- The Contractor shall have full responsibility for the proper fit of the furnished stop log planks at the locations designated on the Contract Drawings.
PART 2 PRODUCTS
- Stop log planks, lifting lugs and appurtenances shall conform to the requirements of ASTM B308 and to aluminum alloy and temper AA-6061-T6 provided with a mill finish.
- Lip type seals shall be extruded neoprene conforming to ASTM D2000, Durometer 60±5.
- Guides, anchor bolts and miscellaneous hardware and lifting devices shall be of Type 304 stainless steel conforming to ASTM A276.
2.02 STOP LOG PLANKS
- Stop log planks shall be fabricated of aluminum plate reinforced with extruded or structural aluminum horizontal and vertical members.
- End caps will not be allowed on the stop log planks. Planks will be of sufficient weight to be submerged under their own weight.
- Two lifting lugs shall be provided for each stop log plank. Lifting lugs shall be capable of withstanding the lifting load necessary to remove the stop log plank under the field design head.
2.03 LIP TYPE SEALS
- Each stop log plank shall be provided with uninterrupted seals along the bottom of the plank and up both sides. The seals shall be attached to the plank with Type 304 stainless steel bars and fasteners.
- The shape of the seal shall provide a seating surface having a minimum width of 1 inch. The vertical face of the seal shall be in contact with the seating surface of the guide to provide a proper seal at the comers.
- As indicated on the Contract Drawings, the bottom of the plank shall seal flush with the invert of the finished concrete channel or the stainless steel guide.
- As shown on the Contract Drawings, the guides for the stop log planks shall be either surface mounted or embedded in the concrete.
- Guides and all necessary attaching bolts and anchor bolts shall be furnished by the stop log plank manufacturer.
2.05 LIFTING DEVICE
- Lifting device shall be provided to remove and install the stop log plank as specified herein and shown on the Contract Drawings. The lifters shall be extendible so that they will function with different stop log plank lengths.
- The lifting device shall be equipped with a suitable eye bolt for portable crane operation. The device shall be oriented in its position by the stop log plank guides and shall be capable of securing and releasing the stop logs with the use of a lanyard from the operating floor.
PART 3 EXECUTION
- Number, size and location of stop log planks, guides and lifting devices shall be provided as shown on the Contract Drawings or called for in the Detailed Specifications.
- The completely assembled stop log planks shall be tested for the manufacturer’s guaranteed leakage criteria.
3.02 STOP LOG PLANK STORAGE
- The Contractor shall fabricate and install brackets, chains, angles, etc., on handrail or exterior walls, near the stop log plank installation locations for storage of the planks.
- Storage brackets and stop log planks shall not overstress the structure to which they are attached for storage.
- Location and details of storage facilities shall be submitted to the Engineer for approval prior to installation.